SC 139 - First Exam 2003
On the line to the left, place the letter of the choice that
best answers the question.
1. An electron microscope has what advantage over a light microscope?
_______ a. It is less expensiveb. It is simpler to use
c. It has much better resolution d. Specimen preparation in easier
e. Well, it must be heavier than a light microscope...
2. As cells get bigger, they run into difficulties connected to their
3. Which would probably have the most complete fossil record?
4. The central process of the scientific method is
5. Uniformitarianism is a basic idea about
_______ a. How traits get
b. How organisms evolve
6. A human windpipe has reinforcing rings, like a vacuum
cleaner hose; like the hose,
the hose are
_______ a. Analogous but not
c. Both homologous and analogous
d. Neither homologous nor analogous
e. Two things you donít want caught in a closing door
7. Which was an element of Francisco Rediís experiments on spontaneous generation?
_______ a. Maggots b. Iguanasc. Pea plants
d. Cork e. Ummm...generation, of a spontaneous nature-?
8. Colonial describes
_______ a. Darwinís theory of
movement to islands
d. Unicellular organisms that act multicellular
e. Those bloody Americans to a Londoner
9. In the statement, "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny," the ontology is
_______ a. Evolutionary
b. A sort of replay
10. Which is an allowable species name?
_______ a. Generalis
b. jerrius springerus
11. A structure found in plant cells but not in animal cells:
_______ a. Cell
12. In hybrid form, the allele for cystic fibrosis helps carriers to resist
c. Diarrhea diseases
Answer any eight of the following questions for 4
Answer any four of the following questions for Eight
Answer as many as you are able. Wrong answers will not result in points being lost from the main exam. You can get partial credit on these answers.
For Three Points Each, answer about Carolus Linnaeus -
Other biological specialty?
What technological limitation led partly to how cladistics works? Three Points.
Electron microscopes must have a vacuum inside them. Why? Three Points.
About how long ago did Darwin live and work? Three Points.
Darwin disliked the use of "survival of the fittest" to describe Evolution by Natural Selection. Why? Three Points.
What is it about Indonesia that made it such a good place to develop ideas about evolution? Three Points.
For Three Points each -
What is a vestigial structure usually defined as?
What do they often turn out to be?
Why have some organisms evolved ways not to evolve? Three Points.