SC 139 - First Exam 2006
Links on Numbers go to relevant passages in the online textbook.
On the line to the left, place the letter of the choice that
best answers the question.
1. The main reason why specimens are sectioned is to
a. Make them transparent
2. In cells, membranes are mostly used for
a. Determining male and female
b. Physical protection
3. One of the most important aspects of both Darwin’s and Wallace’s data gathering:
a. It was done in the tropics
b. It was done over a long period of time
4. Convergent evolution has its best examples when features are
a. Analogous and homologous
b. Analogous but not homologous
5. One of Darwin’s main inspirations for his ideas came from
a. Dog breeding
b. Genetic studies
c. Dinosaur fossils
6. Which is the best example of an experimental artifact?
a. Measurements are all taken in metric units
7. What Robert Hooke called cells were specifically
a. Empty cell membranes
b. Empty cell walls
8. Resolution of a microscope could also be called
a. Magnification limit
b. Focusing limit
c. Specimen size limit
9. Which two structures are analogous but not homologous?
a. Car tire and horse’s neck
b. Shark’s tail and boat propeller
10. The apparent limitation on how big a cell can be is probably related to
a. Its overall shape
b. Its volume and surface ratio
11. Without Alfred Russel Wallace, the
Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection
b. Translated into Danish
c. Applied to animals
12. Which approach to classification is most concerned with the appearance of key features?
Answer any eight of the following questions for 4
LONG ANSWER.Answer any four of the following questions for Eight Points Each.
Note: if you answer more than four, only the first four will be corrected.
You can get partial credit on these answers.
BONUS QUESTIONS.Answer as many as you are able. Wrong answers will not result in points being lost from the main exam. You can get partial credit on these answers.
Which of the original Greek "natural Kingdoms" did not include living things? Three Points.
Which is the biggest Kingdom, in terms of having the most individual organisms in it? Three Points.
When Redi ran his meat-and-maggot experiment, what did he have to change to satisfy his critics? Three Points.
What major problem made it difficult to increase the magnification abilities of glass lenses? Three Points.
Darwin’s father wanted him to continue the "family business." What did Daddy Darwin do (Two Points), and why didn’t Charles want to do it (Two Points)?
What are the two different types of iguanas found on the Galapagos Islands? Two Points each.
What are vestigial structures A) supposed to be (Three Points), and what else B) might they be (Three Points)?
Why are there so few dinosaur fossils found in New York State? Three Points.
Radioactive carbon dating doesn’t work on anything over about 60,000 years old. Why not? Three Points.