SC 139 - Second Exam 2003
On the line to the left, place the letter of the choice that
best answers the question.
Links on Numbers go to relevant passages in the online textbook.
1. The main concept of the Gaia Hypothesis is that
_______ a. Life has disappeared
and reappeared on Earth several times
c. Life was the result of Special Creation
d. Life stabilizes the global environment
e. One should use vowels more than consonants
2. For a long time, biological theories about the origin of Life on Earth fromstarting
molecules were hard to produce because it was thought that the first
major step would have to produce
Dinosaurs d. Vertebrates
3. Which relies on fungal symbionts to live?
_______ a. Algae b. Insects c. Bacteria d. Land plants e. Politicians
4. The first "living" molecule systems were most probably what type of molecules?
_______ a. Protein b. DNA c. RNA d. Water e. Squiggly.
5. Most genetic mutations produce what sort of effects?
_______ a. None or
b. Bad - diseases
c. Good - improvements
6. Which relates to ecospecies?
_______ a. Parts of a food
Same functions, different locations
7. What is the function of a chloroplast?
c. Water absorption
8. What was the source of the organic materials in primordial soup?
_______ a. First
b. First plants
c. Space dust
9. In todayís world, which is true?
_______ a. Heterotrophs are the
base of the food chain
10. Which are a typical feature of eukaryotes but not prokaryotes?
_______ a. Fungus symbionts
b. Membrane chambers
11. When a mutation produces
an extra copy
of a gene that can be used for
c. Genetic drift
12. When primordial soup molecules went through chemical evolution, what did they compete for?
_______ a. Protection from
Answer any eight of the following
questions for 4 Points Each.
Answer any four of the following
questions for Eight Points Each.
Answer as many as you are able. Wrong answers will not result in points being lost from the main exam. You can get partial credit on these answers.
If a biologist is trying to determine the gender (male or female) of an organism or structure, animal, plant, fungus, whatever, what particular feature has to be checked? Three Points.
What is it about sharks that makes them very resistant to cancer? Three Points.
The northern end of the original mountain chain that includes the Adirondacks ends where today? Three Points.
What scientist is considered the "father" of biogeography? Three Points.
Some of the worldís oldest fossils are found locally - where? Three Points.
The spread of photosynthetic organisms across the oceans left what sort of mark in the fossil record? Three Points
During the Age of Dinosaurs, the dinosaur-like animals that lived in the oceans were really what sort of reptiles? Three Points.
Which groups are often thought of as the last surviving dinosaurs? Three Points.